Gelati: We decided to do a portrait of each other with any medium of our choice. We didn’t discuss what we were going to do so the end result is quite different. We also had a different way of documenting the process (Chisa’s is procedure-based, and mine is material-based), so I think it works better if we separate this parallel post into two different parts (I hope Chisa won’t kill me for deleting her old layout). Now, without further adieu, let’s start with Chisa’s interpretation of me! (Personally I think I look much better in person LOL)
// Chisa’s portrait of Gelati //
1. So here is my blank canvas. I’m going to say this before I start… my portrait of Gelati isn’t as meaningful as what Gelati created. I think this is what happens when we don’t discuss and just do this free style. But I did have fun, so I hope you enjoy!
2. And my beautiful art medium for the portrait is: Cheeeerios! To be honest, I’m not a big fan of cereals but something about Cheerios feels very nostalgic… not to mention that I just like things that are circular.
3. Okay, this is going to be fun – let’s start with her hair! Oops, I didn’t choose a flat plate so Cheerios is keep sliding down, so smothered some yogurt on the side to glue them down (I hope I’m not cheating). And ta-dah, Gelati’s beautiful hair. I haven’t seen her in a while so I don’t know how accurate this hair style is.
4. Eyes and nose. I know Gelati had them.
5. And a mouth! Done! Hmmmmm actually… something is missing.
6. Just a bit of nutella would look great on her!
7. Don’t forget her brows. And it’s done! An editable G E L A T I.
// Gelati’s portrait of Chisa//
My concept is to compile my image of Chisa using materials that are representative of her. Some of the items in there are memorabilia of our friendships, others are things that I think Chisa would wear herself (so in away, I’m styling Chisa’s portrait LOL).
1. Hat by Ted Baker – Chisa loves to wear hats. She usually wears one when she has a bad hair day, or when she has little/no make-up on (sorry for spilling your little secret Chisa).
2. Blonde hair necklace by Maison Martin Margiela x H&M – I’ve known Chisa ever since I was 12 or so, and I’ve never seen her with black hair. The Chisa I know has always been dying her hair blonde/brown.
3. Murano glass pendant – I got this when we went to Venice together a few years back. The special story behind this is that I got my wallet stolen before we went there and I had to borrow money from Chisa to get this. I miss our Venice trip! Fake eyelashes – Chisa is always at least one step ahead of me in putting on make-up. She’s crazy about her eyelashes! Lip balm by L’Occitane – No special reason, I needed a circle-shaped item for her other eye haha…
4. Tissues – Chisa and I are both cursed with horrible allergies… Tissues are our must-haves in our bags.
5. Cupcake & Care Bear Earphones – I got these almost-too-cute earphones from Chisa as a present from Japan.
6. Ribbed gloves from American Eagle Outfitters – I got these iPhone-friendly gloves from Chisa and Livia last winter. I think these gloves would fit Chisa very well too.
7. Knitted scarf from vintage shop in Amsterdam – This is SOOO Chisa! By that, I mean it’s so cute and vibrant. I usually wear dark-colored clothes, paired with colorful accessories, but Chisa’s style is full of colors and patterns from head to toes.
8. Cardigan by Propaganda – Chisa and I bought this same cardigan a few years ago. I love, love, love this cardigan. It’s perfect for Fall.
So we’ve reached the end of our parallel post. Which portrait do you like better? If you know us personally, do you think the portraits look like us? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post and see you next time!